McCurdy Real Estate & Auction is seeking an experienced attorney to serve on our Executive Team as General Counsel. This individual will assist the CEO/Managing Broker and Executive Team with all aspects of contracting and compliance related to real estate transactions and general business operations. We are looking for someone with a real estate background who can knowledgably and confidently advise on complex transactions and serve as an authority that the Sales Team can include in situations when necessary. As an Executive Team member, the General Counsel also serves as a business advisor and should demonstrate progressive experience as a business leader and innovator. Despite being a high-volume office, McCurdy prides itself on superior internal and external customer service and the personal relationships we develop throughout the community..
Inquiries about this position will be held in strict confidence.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Braden McCurdy, CEO, at Braden@McCurdy.com.Primary Responsibilities Compliance and risk management
- Learn and review compliance requirements throughout the organization with a particular focus on real estate contracting and closing.
- Identify and implement opportunities to streamline processes, reduce risk, and improve customer service through the contracting and closing process.
- Navigate and negotiate to successfully close challenging transactions in conjunction with closing coordinators and auction managers
- Supervise the Kansas Real Estate Commission (KREC) transaction log, ensuring timely and accurate completion.
- Act as the primary liaison with KREC, licensed agents, and employees for periodic audits
- Understand REALTORS® of South Central Kansas (RSCK) rules and regulations and implement training for agents and employees as necessary.
- Review title work and other transaction documents to identify and solve problems with obtaining merchantable title for both real estate and personal property (vehicles, other property subject to UCC/lien filings).
- Become familiar with all standard RSCK and existing custom McCurdy contracts and forms.
- Work with the Sales Team to identify potential gaps or changes to forms or the contracting process.
- Prepare custom forms and agreements for unique transactions
- Identify opportunities to consolidate forms for more efficient processes
- Review third-party contracts and forms to identify gaps, risks, and recommend changes
- Observe members of the Sales Team on bookings to learn what the Sales Team is doing and recommend enhancements to better refine business processes
- Participate in vendor contracting and negotiations
- Problem solve as requested by the Executive Team for business operations.
- Monitor and inform the Executive Team on legal environment changes impacting real estate and the auction industry.
- Participate in business development in conjunction with the Sales Team.
- Network and correspond regularly with real estate companies, attorneys, bankers, institutions, and corporate sellers, advocating for the McCurdy brand and processes
- Consult with the CFO on HR policy and employment manual updates, independent contract agreements, employment agreements, and internal compliance.
- Make occasional court appearances for various probates, divorces, bankruptcies, etc. to facilitate real estate transactions.
- Juris Doctor and admission to the Kansas Bar.
- 5+ years of related real estate transaction experience.
- Must be a self-starter able to independently move projects forward, prioritize tasks, and meet deadlines.
- Able to occasionally work evenings or weekends, as needed, to provide support for time-sensitive transactions, after-hours auctions, or urgent issues.
“Going once! Going twice! Going three times! Sold!” This language, or something similar, is being heard more and more throughout the country as deeds to real estate are transferred from party to party. Utilized for many years in the rural sector, the auction method of selling real property is fast coming of age in the metropolitan areas. In the past, auction was considered a line of last resort. It is now being recognized by many as the most efficient, effective, and profitable method of marketing real estate. Also, the perception that only distressed property is sold at auction is fast disappearing. Throughout the land, large quantities of high dollar residential, agricultural, commercial and industrial property are being sold at auction. McCurdy Real Estate & Auction, LLC has been selling homes, farms, commercial, and personal property at public auction since its inception in 1982. We are licensed real estate brokers and auctioneers, in Kansas, Colorado Missouri, and Oklahoma.Apply Now